Tuesday 16 October 2012

My first analysis of a pop magazine's double page spread!


My first analysis of a pop magazine’s double page spread
Before creating my music magazine I need to make sure that when I create mine I know and include every code and convention in so that mine looks like it’s a real and professional. I need to do a analysis on a double page spread and i have picked this one which is out of  a pop magazine.

The first thing that I notice about this double page spread is the title at the top of the page. This is always written in bold text in any magazine so that the reader knows they have found the page they were looking for or that there interested in. They have also added another detail into the title, which is that the second word is in a different style of font. This has been done so that that particular word stands out to the reader. Also notice how it is located at the top left hand side of the first page, just like a mast head on a front cover, the title needs to be visible to the reader so they know what that page is all about.

What is important to think about is the layout. For example this page doesn’t have writing all over both pages. The main image of ‘The wanted’ takes up a lot of space, this is because teen girls wouldn’t want to read too much they just want to know all the juicy interesting stuff about them without having to read too much. They also will have “crushes” on the boy band so a large picture will interest them. It is also about 'The Wanted' because it needs to keep with the genre 'pop' and they are a pop band.

There are many different ways that a double page spread can be laid out. In this magazine there are two columns of writing on the left hand side and another one on the right hand side. Then little text boxes are scattered around the image to give the page layout and make it more interesting. Colours is also important on a double page spread because you don’t want dark boring colours on it, if the reader will be reading and looking at it for a long time. The page needs to stand out, like on this page the background colour sticks to the target audience (teen girls) and it stands out. Because of the light purple colour as a background, they have printed the text in a black font so that it is easy to read.

It may be a small detail, but at the bottom of each page is another convention… the page number. This is important because if I want mine too look as realistic as possible I need to add every single detail into my work. I also need to make sure that my photography for my main image is good by trying different camera angles so that the picture really stands out.

No comments:

Post a Comment